Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Book Riot Read Harder 2018 Task #15, 16, & 17

I've finally read The City of Ember series by Jeanne DuPrau, and it fulfills Tasks 15-17. 15) A book in one sitting, 16)  The first book in a new-to-you YA or middle grade series, and 17) A sci fi novel with a female protagonist by a female author.   I started The City of Ember and just kept downloading the rest from the library, and I read the whole series in two days.

Although, I have to admit, I only skimmed the third one because it seemed like a lecture and was only tangentially related to the other three (plus, it hits too close to home right now with potential nuclear war).

In some ways, it reminded me of the Pern series by Anne McCaffrey - one of my very favorite authors.  Both deal with the loss of history and memory over time and the importance of literacy.  I wish I were still in the middle school classroom, because I'd love to recommend and talk with students about the series.

A couple of quotes I'd like to remember:

“The trouble with anger is, it gets hold of you. And then you aren't the master of yourself anymore. Anger is.”
― Jeanne DuPrau, The City of Ember

“When someone has been mean to you, why would you want to be good to them?' 'You wouldn't want to. That's what makes it hard. You do it anyway. Being good is hard. Much harder than being bad.”
― Jeanne DuPrau, The People of Sparks

"It wasn't because they had extraordinary powers, really, but because of how well they used the ordinary powers everyone had: the power of courage, the power of kindness, the powers of curiosity and knowledge.”

Jeanne DuPrau, The Diamond of Darkhold

No comments:

Post a Comment