Thursday, January 25, 2018

Book Riot Read Harder #13 An Oprah Book Club selection

I have tried several of Oprah's recommendations, going back to The Deep End of the Ocean and the disgraced A Million Little Pieces.  Just recently I started, The Underground Railroad, but I will not finish it I just can't get into it.  So I thought I would try a book I've been meaning to read for at least 4 years - The Road by Cormac McCarthy.  I was very excited to start it - years ago my brother and I tried doing our own book club, but it never happened. I've been saving the book to read with him.  But, since he is busy with his kiddos, I decided I'd read it.

I must be missing something - I didn't like it.  I've read apocalyptic stories before - one of my very favorite YA books is the Girl Who Owned a City by O. T. Nelson. I read and reread that book in middle school.   I didn't find the story too depressing, I just didn't like the writing style. Now, I know it won a bunch of awards, so it must be me.  But, I read it, so that's done.

No comments:

Post a Comment